Friday, May 12, 2006

Carry-ons



So, I have been talking with this guy for about a month now. We talk every night, and during the day (text messages). We seem to really have a connection, it seems great and like we will really hit it off. The problem? He lives in Salem. That's 150 miles away for those that don't know. I met him through that whole single parent group thing. Yeah it's also a dating site, so sue me. What do you expect from a girl that works 40-45 hours a week and spends her evenings catching up with chores around the house. My weekends are usually full of bussing my daughter around and/or catching up on some much needed sleep. Anyway, it's my only alternative since I am not the "bar" hanging type. Ew. No, no...give me anonymity anyday. Ok then, so he lives in Salem, you might think that if something is as good as it seems, then distance wouldn't be a problem. But apparently it would seem so. And that bothers me. If he thinks I am so great and worth so much then what is his hang up about coming here to see me? Shouldn't the "guy" be the one to make that effort? I know I am old fashioned, but I don't really think anything has changed in this arena. I am not going to be the one to put myself in some vulnerable situation, or put myself out on the line by traveling to a city that I have only driven through and gotten lost in it at that. He used to live here, he knows the area and has family here, in a way. So what is the problem? Is he not as "in-like" with me as he says and he doesn't see the importance of sweeping me off my feet? Isn't it the man's job to impress the woman? Sheesh...sometimes I wish I was a bird.

I sent him an email after our conversation last night, explaining how I feel about it. I haven't heard back. I figure it's just as well. Either I did the smart, adult thing (not that the two are necessarily synonymous) or I just bought myself a one way ticket to lonely. It would be a return trip anyway (I have season tickets), so I guess it isn't so bad.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah we have. Many times. But it always seems to come down to me going there. He was supposed to come here this weekend, and now he is "on call" and can't leave town etc. I am just not comfortable as the one making the move. And, I feel like I am. I feel that if I am important enough and worth it, then he should be the one to do so. Maybe I am being stubborn, I don't know, and I have now probably made him uninterested. It would seem that men can turn it on and off as they please.

Like I said, a one way ticket, and I just hopped on board. :(

Michelle said...

I am too much effort. It seems to be the general consensus.